Scary Grey Rifle: Cam's AR-15 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary Grey Rifle: Cam's AR-15 Build

Earlier this year, I decided to start building an AR-15...mostly because an increasingly vocal group of people suggested that I shouldn't have one. It sounds petty and stubborn, but this should come as no surprise at all to anyone that knows me. I began collecting parts and tools in February, and I've got just about everything I need to start with the build itself. I shopped around for deals all year, and I took advantage of Black Friday to get the last of what I needed. Early on I decided on a lightweight build, with a fun theme (which I'll reveal in good time), and a color scheme: battleship grey cerakote with black accents. The goal is to have a quality firearm with some choice upgrades (and room to grow later) without breaking the bank. Let's take a look at the parts breakdown:

Lower Receiver: Tactical Machining Gen 2 forged 7075 aluminum 80% lower receiver ($93.73)
    Lower Parts Kit: Palmetto State Armory with JP Enterprises anti-walk pins & Magpul enhanced trigger guard ($103.97)
    Fire Control Group: Velocity 3 lb. curved trigger ($129.99)
    Pistol Grip: Magpul MOE (black)
    Buffer Tube: Palmetto State Armory mil-spec
    Butt Stock: Magpul MOE (black)
    Upper Receiver: Palmetto State Armory ($254.98)
    Upper Parts Kit: Palmetto State Armory
    Bolt Carrier Group: Palmetto State Armory 5.56 NATO full-auto profile ($69.99)
    Charging Handle: Radian Raptor ambidextrous (Grey) ($65.95)
    Barrel: Palmetto State Armory 16" stainless pencil profile
    Muzzle Device: Palmetto State Armory A2 flash hider
    Gas System: Palmertto State Armory mid-length gas system with low profile gas block
    Handguard: Palmetto State Armory 15" lightweight M-Lok rail system
    Optic: none
    Back-Up Sights: Magpul MBUS front & rear
    Railed Accessories: Magpul MOE MVG vertical grip ($14.99)

Total Parts Cost: $733.60

I'd say I didn't do too bad for the price. Of course, I spent quite a bit in special tools...but that just means I'll have to build a few more to make it worth my while. I'll update this shortly with a photo of the components laid out...and again once my now lower receiver finally gets here. I had a blank 80% lower from Brownells—in fact it was the first thing I bought for this gun back in February—but I decided last Friday to just go ahead and order one already engraved and ready to be machined.
    Originally posted by Dan
    My name is Edward

sounds good cant wait to see it come together.

Comment

Working...
    X