Chiappa Rhino 60DS in .357 Magnum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiappa Rhino 60DS in .357 Magnum

Picked this up a couple of months ago. It was actually my birthday present from my darling wife. I don’t think I have ever fallen for a weapon as hard and as fast as this one. I’m totally infatuated with it.

To understand why, know that I ruptured the scaphoidlunate ligament in my right wrist (dominant hand) many years ago. As a result, I have a very unstable wrist joint, it "disassociates" (rotates out of alignment, similar to subluxation) with minimal provocation. Shooting anything with more kick than a 9mm Luger can leave me with inflammation and both joint and nerve pain for hours or even days afterward. It's not uncommon for me to ice my wrist after a long range session. Even a snappy .380 mouse gun can feel like a knitting needle through my wrist every once in a while, if I don't keep my wrist properly positioned and tensed. My EDC is a Ruger LCR in .38SPL (admittedly a pretty low-mass gun for that size cartridge, at 13.5 oz), and I can only manage about 10-15 rounds through it before I have to put it down for the day. My wife bought me a P226 in .357SIG and sadly, it eventually ended up on her side of the gun safe because I just couldn't bear to shoot the thing. As a result, I do a lot of .22WMR and .32S&W shooting, along with a .22TCM when I want the big boom and blast wave without the recoil.

With that backstory in mind, the first time I took the Rhino to the range, I put 21 magnum rounds and 39 .38SPL rounds through it, with zero wrist pain. ZERO – not during, not afterwards. The bore axis in relation to the shooter's hand, and the grip angle, are an absolute engineering miracle. I can shoot this thing all day long without a bit of discomfort. Add in that it feels great in hand, is pretty damn accurate, has great sights, and is mechanically innovative, and it's a winner in my book. The optional moon clips are a neat addition, even though I don't use them at the range. It feels really tight and solid, with no slop; the hammer was actually somewhat tough to cock both SA and DA when I first got it, but it has already smoothed out and become noticeably lower effort after just a couple hundred rounds and a snap-cap dry fire session.

As far as how it looks, I realize that beauty is subjective, but in my opinion it has a nice, interesting appearance that's a welcome change from the similarity of my other revolvers, with a sort of "early-80s Yamaha design language" kind of vibe.
    2011 Suzuki Kizashi GTS Sport 6MT • 2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 Lariat
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS-S • 1974 Honda CL125S • "Bultakenstein" – 1977 Bultaco Roadster (project)

bitchin! i want one of the 357 6inchs in chrome just cause

Comment

I think the 3” in gold is pretty sweet.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	84C86EAD-B6F9-41FD-886A-568C9647410E.png
Views:	8
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	534

2011 Suzuki Kizashi GTS Sport 6MT • 2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 Lariat
      2013 Can-Am Spyder RS-S • 1974 Honda CL125S • "Bultakenstein" – 1977 Bultaco Roadster (project)

Comment

i would agree with that.

Comment

That is one unique looking gun. I really dig that a lot. The one your wife gifted you is way classy.
          Originally posted by Dan
          My name is Edward

Comment

im waiting for my gun shop to call me and say they found me a 60ds in the nebula finish

Comment

Working...
            X