Cam's 1990 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam's 1990 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg

Just picked this up over the weekend, it's a 1990 Jetta Wolfsburg, 1.8 8V automatic with 158200 miles. It's from PA, so no rust to speak of.

Click image for larger version  Name:	jetta08.jpg Views:	1 Size:	325.2 KB ID:	1082

I've always thought that the Wolfsburg Jettas were kind of special, like a "not quite a GLI" package for low class yuppies like me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	jetta06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.5 KB ID:	1083

Plans are to make it suitable for winter duty by taking care of its immediate issues. First things first, thought, I cleaned up the interior and gave it a bath. That Steelers steering wheel cover had to go.

Click image for larger version  Name:	jetta09.jpg Views:	1 Size:	232.1 KB ID:	1084

I love that blue interior. Vacuuming it and cleaning out the previous owner's McDonald's trash really helped; I can't wait to give everything a good wipe-down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	jetta07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	277.3 KB ID:	1085

The brush of doom! I figured that it was acceptable in this case, since I was planning on claybaring it, polishing, waxing, and even touching up a few areas.
    Originally posted by Dan
    My name is Edward

Needs Racelands and Corvette Salad Shooters.

Any plans for it beyond just having the pleasure of driving the last non-fucked Mk2 in America?

Might I suggest a Chinese front end swap:
    Last edited by AdoboPanda; 10-02-2018, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdoboPanda View Post
      Needs Racelands and Corvette Salad Shooters.

Any plans for it beyond just having the pleasure of driving the last non-fucked Mk2 in America?
      I intend to clean it up and do a few tasteful mods, like the Euro round headlights, a slight drop, and BBS RAs from the Jetta GLI. Outside of that, I just want to drive, enjoy, and preserve it as best I can. It's going to see use this winter with some careful preparations, but hopefully I can keep it fairly clean and get ahead of any issues in the spring.
      Originally posted by Dan
      My name is Edward

Comment

Well done, my man!
        2011 Suzuki Kizashi GTS Sport 6MT • 2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 Lariat
        2013 Can-Am Spyder RS-S • 1974 Honda CL125S • "Bultakenstein" – 1977 Bultaco Roadster (project)

Comment

Originally posted by Tanshanomi View Post
          Well done, my man!
          Thanks! I'm really enjoying it so far.

I'm still in the process of going through the car and diagnosing its various mechanical issues. I know that the valve cover gasket is leaking badly, and the power steering system has a leak somewhere. There was also a pretty substantial knock in the front suspension. I put it up on a lift at work to see if I could confirm that, and find my leak.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jetta01.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1090

It looks right at home surrounded by newer, faster European hardware. Up in the air we go!

Name:	jetta03.jpg
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1091

The blocks not going directly through the frame rails/jack points was a good sign. It turns out that this car is even cleaner than I thought, it's completely rust-free!

Name:	jetta02.jpg
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1092

The exhaust hangers are missing, so I'll have to do something about that. I'm also on the hunt for a steering rack, since mine is kaput and leaking. Oh, and that control arm issue? It was missing one of the bolts! Less than $2 later and it's already driving much better.
          Originally posted by Dan
          My name is Edward

Comment

With cars like these, where they made a jillion of them basically the same, you can take care of pretty much anything as long as the body shell and electrical bits are solid.
            2011 Suzuki Kizashi GTS Sport 6MT • 2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 Lariat
            2013 Can-Am Spyder RS-S • 1974 Honda CL125S • "Bultakenstein" – 1977 Bultaco Roadster (project)

Comment

NEUSPEED all the things

Comment

okay so those stock wheels are actually working pretty well for me.

Comment

Nice, so when are you getting a neck tattoo and a vape pen?

Comment

1) You look like you're trying to scrub off the e-cost with that brush man...ease up.
                    2) When are the seven coilovers being installed Cameron ?
                    3) I miss my Mk2 GTi track car that I really didn't get to track because I needed a fence to keep my dog (RIP Frankie) from scaring the neighborhood.

oh yeah...first post from someone who's probably the oldest forum member here.

Comment

Originally posted by mykrrrr View Post
                      1) You look like you're trying to scrub off the e-cost with that brush man...ease up.
                      2) When are the seven coilovers being installed Cameron ?
                      3) I miss my Mk2 GTi track car that I really didn't get to track because I needed a fence to keep my dog (RIP Frankie) from scaring the neighborhood.

oh yeah...first post from someone who's probably the oldest forum member here.
                      1) This thing was/is GRIMY. It needed all the help it could get!
                      2) Four of the seven will be installed, along with the rest of the suspension, within the next month or so as part of an article I'm working on. Watch this space!
                      3) There's something I really like about Mk2s. Among watercooled cars, they seem like the "goldilocks" choice.

Thanks for joining!
                      Originally posted by Dan
                      My name is Edward

Comment

Wow that's a pretty clean looking Jetta Cam!
                        04 Ford Focus SVT - daily driver
                        85 Chevrolet El Camino w/turbo swap - fun car
                        99 Infiniti I30 former daily driver - collecting dust

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post

1) This thing was/is GRIMY. It needed all the help it could get!
                          2) Four of the seven will be installed, along with the rest of the suspension, within the next month or so as part of an article I'm working on. Watch this space!
                          3) There's something I really like about Mk2s. Among watercooled cars, they seem like the "goldilocks" choice.

Thanks for joining!
                          3) They're pretty easy to work on (changing the clutch on jackstands by yourself is fun...) but they're also very quirky. The fuel accumulator tanks are such a PITA. I cracked one and had to search high and low for one. Round lamp with fogs (with actually no fogs in them) look the best IMO.

Faaaaaque, I want another one.

Comment

Originally posted by mykrrrr View Post

3) They're pretty easy to work on (changing the clutch on jackstands by yourself is fun...) but they're also very quirky. The fuel accumulator tanks are such a PITA. I cracked one and had to search high and low for one. Round lamp with fogs (with actually no fogs in them) look the best IMO.

Faaaaaque, I want another one.
                            I'm just doing single rounds. It's not a GLI, and I don't want to pretend that it is. I like the simple, clean look of round headlights.
                            Originally posted by Dan
                            My name is Edward

Comment

Working...
                            X