Cam's 2007 Vespa LX 150

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam's 2007 Vespa LX 150

I finally did it, I finally bought my mother's Vespa. Anyone who knows me knows that this is a long time coming. It's a 2007 LX 150 with just 1,562 miles. The original owner used it to ride to the end of his driveway and back to pick up mail. Under my mother's ownership, it had just about 250 miles added to the total, most of them by yours truly. Now it's mine, and I'm excited to ride it around town and through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Here's a couple of photos from last year.

My mother added the flyscreen and top case. She's got good taste. Both are official Vespa accessories, and the flyscreen really helps at higher speeds ("higher speeds," in this case, being anything above 40 miles per hour). The top case is nice because it allows enough space for both Bethany and I to stow our helmets inside the scooter (there's storage under the seat, too). The color is officially called "Dragon Red."

Last summer, I went on a ride with a couple of my buddies. There's Jon in the photo, with a durry, being Jon.

Plans are a comprehensive refresh, with a new battery, fresh tires, and a new belt, as well as an oil change, a new spark plug, a new oil filter, and performance front brake pads. After that, I'll do some work on the top case (adding a backrest, re-keying the lock) and an LED taillight and call it a day. I really enjoy riding this little thing.
    Originally posted by Dan
    My name is Edward

Awesome! Scooters are severely underrated in North America. I've never ridden a scooter and NOT had fun. Even on a Honda Spree.

I would really love to get a 946 if they'd just discount the leftovers a little more... 2016 Vespa 946 Red 150 – San Gabriel CA – $6,999

Click image for larger version

Name:	5ce2428b2d9f780df73f83aa.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1441
    2011 Suzuki Kizashi GTS Sport 6MT • 2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 Lariat
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS-S • 1974 Honda CL125S • "Bultakenstein" – 1977 Bultaco Roadster (project)

Comment

Ever ridden a big wheel scooter? They're amazing. I rode a Malaguti Ciak 150 and I felt like a hero.

...wait, weren't you the one who told me to try out a big wheel scooter in the first place?
      Originally posted by Dan
      My name is Edward

Comment

Indeed I was. The Piaggio Liberty 150 is tempting me.
        2013 Can-Am Spyder RS-S • 1974 Honda CL125S • "Bultakenstein" – 1977 Bultaco Roadster (project)

Comment

Originally posted by Tanshanomi View Post
          Indeed I was. The Piaggio Liberty 150 is tempting me.
          They're out there, brand new, for under $3,000. That's well within what I call "temptation territory." Unfortunately, by the time you tack on dealer fees...

The Vespa is home, now. A steel ramp, some straps, and the smallest Canyon Dancer they make got it into the back of the Nite no sweat (hi, Mom!):

I'm waiting to order my maintenance stuff until I verify which battery it has (some sources suggest that the '06 and '07 shared the smaller battery from the LX 50) and how much oil the crankcase takes. Some say one liter exactly; others say it's a little more.
          Originally posted by Dan
          My name is Edward

Comment

I have to get a canyon dancer. Everybody who has one raves about them.

Comment

I have to get a canyon dancer. Everybody who has one raves about them.
              I'm a believer. I'm about to buy a second one that fits full-sized bikes.

Here's the list of what the scoot needs:

Yuasa YB9-B battery & electrolyte
              Oil, filter, and spark plug
              Malossi high-flow air filter & air filter oil
              Malossi performance front brake pads
              Michelin City Grip tires front & rear
              Touch-up paint

Altogether, I'm in for just a hair over $300 - not bad at all. I could save a little more money by cheaping out on the battery, tires, and oil (I'm using the factory recommended Agip), but I don't want to go that route. I'm going to wait to order this stuff until after the Jetta thrash-fest this week, as well as work on making a permanent home for it (along with as my other two-wheeled contraptions) in the garage.
              Originally posted by Dan
              My name is Edward

Comment

Get a sidecar so you and Bethany can look adorbs when you get ice cream on a hot summer day.

Comment

Cam, I'd highly encourage you to get a Motobat AGM battery instead of the wet cell lead-acid Yumicron. They are SO much less hassle and really do better sitting on a charger for long periods.

Comment

Originally posted by mykrrrr View Post
                    Get a sidecar so you and Bethany can look adorbs when you get ice cream on a hot summer day.
                    I would, but scooters are just too much fun to lean over!

Cam, I'd highly encourage you to get a Motobat AGM battery instead of the wet cell lead-acid Yumicron. They are SO much less hassle and really do better sitting on a charger for long periods.
                    Thanks for the tip; if the equivalent Motobatt isn't exorbitantly priced compared to the Yuasa, that's the direction I'll go in!
                    Originally posted by Dan
                    My name is Edward

Comment

Working...
                    X